1) Go through your entire Facebook messenger chat list (25+ per day) and message your friends telling them what you’re up to, that you’re offering freelance services and would love to hear about any potential projects they or anyone they know may have. Include a PDF portfolio or links to previous work.
2) Create a list of 100 friends you know who are entrepreneurs or business owners. Message or email them and tell them that you’re offering freelance services and actively accepting new projects. Include a PDF portfolio or links to previous work. * This helped me land a $10K project in March, and has since led to $45K+ in revenue
3) Create a profile on Upwork and submit 5-10 targeted video proposals per day after performing 5-10 minutes of research on each client and contact them via as many channels as possible (ie. Facebook, their website, email, etc.)
4) Go on AngelList, locate job listings looking for a designer and submit 5-10 applications per day after performing 5-10 minutes 5-10 minutes of research on each client and contact them via as many channels as possible (ie. Facebook, their website, email, etc.)
5) Contact all of your previous employers and alert them that you’re offering freelance services and accepting new projects. Include a PDF portfolio or links to previous work.
6) Sell a $1 service and promote it via email, social media or Facebook groups. Folks love it, because it’s unusual, it makes them consider the value of what they buy, and they’re actually far more likely to sign up for a buck than they ever would be for free.
7) Create a list of 100 small design agencies and email them telling them that if they ever have an overflow of work and need additional design work that you are available for hire.
8) Make 10 cold calls per day to 10 of the agencies above after you email them.
9) Message 1 Facebook group owner or admin per day letting them know that you’re available for hire if them or anyone in the group is in need of design services.
10) Identify 5 brands, businesses or business owners per day with shitty design (websites, apps, etc.) and offer to host a free, 20-25 minute design consultation to share how they can improve their design.
I would recommend trying one of these per week, and doing it every day. Then, the ones that work, which honestly, all of them should! – Matt Kohn
Matt Kohn is Founder & CEO at Different Hunger and a Lifestyle Coach. Learn more at http://www.differenthunger.com/